Art and Design
Key Stage 3
In year 7 you will:
- Learn about observational drawing and how to best use line, tone and proportion.
- Explore and apply colour theory to a self-portrait.
- Make a visual Investigation into portraiture and the influence of colour upon mood and emotions.
- Develop modelling and carving skills with clay.
In year 8 you will:
- Make a visual investigation into non-western art and artefacts.
- Apply elements from your investigation to make a 3D artefact.
- Develop making skills such as construction, modelling and carving.
- Develop surface decoration skills.
- Learn about the principles of Abstraction.
- Create an abstract image which explores colour, tone and textures.
In year 9 you will:
- Learn about pictorial space, composing an image with a back, middle and foreground.
- Make a visual analysis of the art movement Surrealism.
- Design a composition which combines both direct observational features and surreal manipulations.
- Make a visual analysis on contemporary art works, such as ‘Banksy’ and the concept of communication within public spaces.
- Learn about making a stencil and achieving a ‘Banksy’ inspired effect.
Key Stage 4
In year 10/11 we follow the Edexcel GCSE specification.
The Pearson Edexcel Level 1/Level 2 GCSE (9–1) in Art and Design consists of two internally assessed and externally moderated components.
Component 1: Personal Portfolio (internally set) 60%
Component 2: Externally Set Assignment. 40%
In year 10 you will:
- Produce a portfolio of recording in different materials from manmade and natural forms.
- Select your preferred techniques and apply to a contextualised composition which best presents your strengths.
Unit 2 :
- Produce a design sheet of designs in preparation for making a three dimensional outcome using clay. Previous themes that inform your designs have been: plant forms, architectural features and water formations.
Unit 3: Thematic study.
- Present your responses to wide your artworks which share a common theme, such as ’Events’.
- Produce 6 to 8 thumbnail ideas which have a link to the theme.
- Demonstrate your recording ability showing a wide range of materials and techniques.
- Contextualise your ideas by visually analysing a minimum of 2 artworks which share a link to your chosen aspect of the theme.
- Generate a series of studies in 2 or 3d which demonstrate how you have explored your aspect of the theme.
- Reaslise your intentions over 10 hours.
Externally set assignment. Thematic study 2.
This unit follows the same structure as Unit 3 , only to a different theme set by the exam board and realised over 10 hours under public examination conditions.
Key Stage 5
In year 12/13 we follow the Edexcel GCE ‘A ‘level specification.
Component 1: Personal investigation. 60%
Component 2: Externally set assignment. 40%
In component 1 you will experience:
- Broadening your recording skills by accessing new materials and techniques.
- Take on new challenges in terms of scale and medias.
- Set your own thematic study.
- Be encouraged to contextualise your work with a broad range of traditional and contemporary artworks.
- Write a personal study based on your investigation theme and has a minimum of 1000 words.
- Produce an extensive collection of practical outcomes to your theme, which is documented with reflective annotations.
In this unit your will produce a body of investigate work which links to a theme set by the exam board.
This unit concludes with a practical outcome which is undertaken under 15 hours of public examination conditions.